Hi! I’m Dave Kiss, and I make the internet.
I had a pretty early start on this web stuff – I still remember the modem connection sounds of AOL 2.5 emanating from my eMachines desktop like it was yesterday. My first website was a Kool-aid fan site that I built in 2004 (yeah, it’s still up.)
However, it was 1995’s Spider-Man Cartoon Maker that was the real catalyst for pursuing my first dream of being a world class video producer.
For years, I was laser-focused on being one of the best videographers out there. I went to university to study digital media production. While I was there, I had to make a portfolio website to display my videos on and realized that I really enjoyed the challenge that building a professional website presented.
In 2011, I moved to Chicago and started working with a small 3D animation studio called Greyscalegorilla. We needed a way to showcase some videos on the company’s website, so I researched some options and wasn’t able to find a great solution. So I did what I always do in that kind of situation – come up with my own way to make it work.
Rather than building a tool that only worked for us, I thought it’d be a good fit for other companies that faced a similar task. With permission, I open-sourced the code and assigned a price tag to some of the more complicated features.
In 2012, I started selling my own software online and took a few years to grow the sales to a sustainable level. I did it by extracting my truth from the industry’s smartest brains, applying it to my ideas along the way, and finding out firsthand what did and didn’t work.
It’s now my full time job and provides the opportunity to explore my many other interests.
You might enjoy this site if any of the following values resonate with you:
- I value autonomy; my time is extremely important to me.
- I want to take ownership of the things that I make. I did not get in to creative work just to crank out work for someone else.
- I want to learn about the things that I care about the most – not the rigid requirements of what only makes someone else happy.
- I want more out of my life than sitting predictably at my office desk every day. I want to push, encounter new situations, and explore.
- I want to have input on what I should work on for the day. I don’t want to just rent out my brain space for someone else’s agenda.
- I want to collaborate with others who are just as passionate about working as I am.
- I believe in listening to my body and my mind. If I’m not feeling like I’m putting out strong work, I should stop and come back when I’m ready. I don’t want to be made to feel bad for taking workdays off.
- I believe in the importance of remote work, and I prioritize my work environment over a predictable commute and cubicle.
- I enjoy applying all of the ideas and inspiration that surround me to a project of my own.
I believe that the time I spend working is, at best, indirectly related to the value of the things that I create.
Don’t be shy! Say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/davekiss